We understand that stepping into semi-independent accommodation can be overwhelming at first, but we hope your first impression of your new home is a good one. This guide aims to address questions you may have, introduce you to us and help you understand what you can expect during your stay and what we expect from you. 

But a little bit about us first, Norman Galloway Homes is a ‘Not for Profit’ company. This means that we don’t make any money personally from the services that we provide. Many people in our organisation have been through personal trauma and have lived experience of the care system. None of us know exactly what you are going through, and we will never pretend to because everyone’s journey is different.

However, we are here to help. As you are reading this guide, this may because you are considering moving in with us or it may be your first night with us, or you may be reading it after several weeks. If this is your first night, know that we are here to support you and that we want you to feel supported. By now you will have been allocated your own support worker and you should have their details in your phone, but if you are unsure who to contact call the office on 0115 697 2829

What to expect: your journey ahead

We're thrilled to welcome you to our supported accommodation! We want you to know that your wellbeing and individual needs are our top priority. That's why each young person here has a support plan tailored specifically to them. This plan covers various aspects of your life, such as employment, training or education, health and well-being, and the support you may require to stay safe. 

Your input matters to us, and we strongly believe in involving you in every step of the process. We'll make sure you have the opportunity to contribute to your support plan during your stay. We want you to understand and be actively involved in all aspects of your support, empowering you to take charge of your own journey. We value being active and engaged, and we ask all young people to work alongside their support workers on their individual plans. 

This means you'll have a plan for your involvement in your support while you're here. Rest assured, your plans will remain confidential and won't be shared with anyone not involved with your support. Your safety is of utmost importance to us. We are committed to upholding your right to be protected and kept safe. We kindly ask for your cooperation in ensuring your personal safety as well. Together, we'll maintain a secure environment where everyone can thrive. 

Throughout your stay, we'll be here to help you access work or education, explore housing options, and determine the support you'll need for the future. We'll provide guidance on money management, sustaining tenancies, educational or employment opportunities, and, if necessary, navigate any legal proceedings or probationary conditions you might face. 

You can trust that we'll treat you with dignity and respect, and our team is committed to recognising your unique value and contributions. During your initial weeks here, we'll assist you in registering with a doctor, dentist, optician, and sexual health clinic. We want to ensure you have access to essential healthcare services, as well as help you familiarise yourself with the local area, making it feel like home.

Your own space: make it yours

We want your room to feel like your own personal sanctuary during your time in supported accommodation. It comes equipped with the essentials you'll need, but we encourage you to make it your own by adding your own furnishings, bedding, and personal items. We want you to feel comfortable and at home in your space. To ensure your privacy and security, you'll have your own key to your bedroom. This way, you can control access to your room and have a sense of independence. 

Additionally, you'll receive a key to the front door of the house, allowing you to come and go as you please while maintaining a safe and secure environment. Remember, we're here to support you throughout your stay, and we want you to feel comfortable and at ease in your living space. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to ensure that your room truly feels like a place where you can relax and be yourself.

Your support worker: your personal support

One of the most important people you'll meet is your support worker. They're a member of our staff team who will work closely with you to ensure that you have all the support you need. Your support worker will meet with you every week to discuss your progress and help you come up with plans for the future. If you ever need anything specific, your support worker is the person to go to. 

They're here to listen to you and help you find solutions to any challenges you may face. They'll also support you in meetings and help you get the help you need to move forward with your plans. We hope that you feel comfortable and supported during your time with us. Don't hesitate to reach out to your support worker or any member of our team if you need anything at all. We're here to help you succeed!

General expectations: our agreement

We want all young people to enjoy and achieve while they are here; every young person has an individual agreement that you sign up to before you start living with us. We do this to ensure that you come to us because you want to and are committed to getting the best out of living here. Like you, all young people who stay here commit to sticking to these rules while living here

Visitors and Overnight Stays. We need to give you time to settle in and get to know us and your designated support worker. Once we have built up our relationship, it may vary by agreement who can visit the property. All new residents are not permitted visitors in your probationary period unless that person is part of your support plan or network. We will discus this on a case by case basis and a plan. We will discuss your concerns around this and assess whether visitors will be permitted.

Once this period has been assessed, any visitors must be agreed with Norman Galloway Homes support worker and agreed times of arrival and departure from the property must be put in place. All visitors must undergo a full background check and provide ID before visiting. Visitors are not allowed to stay overnight. Should you have any difficulties with this part of our policy you should raise your concerns with your support worker.

Smoking. There is no smoking or vaping in any of Norman Galloway’s supported homes or offices, smoking and vaping is strictly forbidden on the premises and can lead to licence being revoked.

Pornography or any Other Offensive Material. No pornography of offensive material, inclusive of posters and films, are not permitted in any rooms or in the communal areas. Racially or sexually (in regards to a person being male or female, heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual). Offensive material is not permitted anywhere in or on Norman Galloway supported housing premises.

Harassment, Extortion, Bullying and Anti-social Behaviour. We take a zero-tolerance approach to harassment, extortion, bullying, and anti-social behaviours. This includes languages, signals, signs, or materials (such as posters, clothing, or media material – audio or visual) that are offensive towards another person regarding their gender, culture, race, physical ability, religion, appearance, mental health, or age.

Offensive Weapons. Offensive weapons are classified as guns (inclusive of air-rifles or pellet guns), knives or bladed articles (inclusive machetes and swords), crossbows coshes, baseball bats, gases, sprays or any article made or adapted for the use of causing injury to another person. The use of or the possession of any offensive weapon is not permitted anywhere in or on Norman Galloway supported housing premises. 

Drugs. Norman Galloway homes has a zero-tolerance regarding drug use or the selling of drugs. If you are seen taking drugs, if drug paraphernalia is found in your room or property, or if you are found to be illicitly involved with drugs in or on or around Norman Galloway supported housing premises, then this could result in eviction. If you come back to the premises intoxicated of a substance (drugs) causing a nuisance you will be given a written warning and also asked to sign up to the local drug support agency so we can help support, you with your addiction.

Drugs or the use of drugs are not permitted anywhere in or on or around Norman Galloway Homes premises. If you continue to take illegal drugs whilst being a resident of Norman Galloway homes your license agreement with Norman Galloway supported housing will be terminated. 

Alcohol. The drinking of alcohol or any alcoholic beverages is not permitted in any areas within the premises of Norman Galloway Homes. This includes the lounge, kitchen, hallways, stairs, doorways, or on the front of the premises or in the car park or in the garden. If you come back to the premises intoxicated of alcohol causing a nuisance you will be given a written warning and also asked to sign up to the local alcohol support agency so we can help support, you with your addiction. if this happens again your license agreement with Norman Galloway Homes will be terminated and you will be asked to leave.

Storage You are not permitted to store items for any other individuals in or on NGH premises, this includes money. This could result in warnings or termination of your license. 


Pets. No pets are allowed of any kind this includes birds, dogs, cats, reptiles, hamsters, fish.

Support. Support is a major and vital part of your resettlement plan. For this reason, it is imperative that you attend every keywork session that is arranged for you and engage with the support team of Norman Galloway Homes. You must attend to all appointments set for you by other agencies which are involved in your support plan. Failure to engage with your support worker or any other programme set out could put your accommodation in jeopardy. You must endeavour to attend and achieve or work towards any programmes, activities, or goals agreed with you and your support worker. Failure to do so may result in a written warning or could lead to you losing your accommodation. 

Health and Safety. You are responsible for keeping your room clean and tidy hazard and clutter free this also applies to all communal areas, kitchen, bathroom, living room and passageways. It is your responsibility to inform staff of any repairs that you think may need to be carried out in your room or the property, via You are required to allow staff to carry out the relevant welfare and room checks. Welfare and room checks will normally be conducted at least once per week. The frequency of both welfare and room checks can increase or decrease, dependent on your personal circumstances, and at the discretion of management. 

Waste and Recycling. You must not leave food out and all waste must be disposed of in the appropriate bins which have been provided. 

CCTV. We use CCTV recording equipment to monitor the property, visitors and residents. Recording equipment is in all communal areas and is used to ensure compliance with house rules, to prevent anti-social behaviour and enable rapid response to issues that may occur. 

Smoke, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. There are smoke, heat carbon monoxide detectors in the property. You are not permitted to tamper with, cover, or remove any of these detectors as they are installed for yours and others safety. Warnings will be issued if you are caught doing this. 

Warnings. The violation of any of the house rules or your license agreement will result in the warning procedure being implemented, unless the violation is of one of the rules which result in immediate eviction. The warning procedure is as follows. First violation you will receive a Verbal Warning. Second violation you will receive a Written Warning. Third violation will be your potential eviction. 

Door Locking and security. The front door to your property must always be locked after entering/leaving. Your bedroom door should be locked when you leave the property.

Complaints. We want to assure you that your concerns and well-being are our top priority in our supported accommodation. If something worries you, we strongly encourage you to reach out and chat with your support worker or any staff member you feel comfortable with. Your well-being is important to us, and we're here to support you. If you prefer, you can also email or call the director or your social worker to voice your concerns. Please rest assured that any complaints you make will be treated in strict confidence. We want to ensure that you feel heard and that your concerns are addressed appropriately.

We want to ensure that you feel supported throughout the complaint process. If you would like an advocate to help you or speak on your behalf, we will assist you in arranging that support. We want to emphasise that you will never face consequences or be in trouble for making a complaint. It is absolutely your right to do so, and we respect and value your feedback. 

If you are dissatisfied with the process or have any further concerns, please feel free to speak to your social worker or any of the individuals mentioned at the end of this guide. We're here to address your concerns and provide the necessary support. Your well-being and satisfaction are our utmost priorities, and we're committed to ensuring that your stay in our supported accommodation is supportive, nurturing, and free from any worries or grievances.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get to live in your property?

We only accept referrals from Local authorities. If you are a care leaver and looking for accommodation. Please speak with your social worker or leaving care worker.

What is a licence agreement

If you come to live with us you will be ask to sign an excluded license. This does not have the same rights as an assured short hold tenancy agreement. Unlike tenancy agreements we include support services and have policies aimed at keeping everybody safe.

How often will the property be inspected?

We have an obligation to conduct regular inspections of all accommodation. This is to ensure the property is not in need of repair, that you are looking after the property and discuss any problems you may be experiencing. You will be informed if we are carrying out property indpections.

What happens if there is a maintenance issue?

In the event of maintenance being required please telephone your support worker at the earliest possible time in order to minimise any problem that could subsequently arise. We have a 24/7 repairs reporting system in 48 languages.

Can I have a pet?

You cannot have any pets in any of our properties.

How is the rent paid?

Your rent will either be paid by your local authority, housing benefit or a contribution by Universal Credit. However you will be asked to make a small contribution.

Who is responsible for Council Tax and other bills?

In most of our properties Norman Galloway Homes will pay for Utility bills and including Council Tax unless you are exempt from council tax because you are a care leaver or under 18. 

How much do I need to pay to reserve a property?

We don't take deposits to reserve properties. Local Authorities wishing to reserve any of our accommodation should confirm this by email.

See what our customers have to say

This website uses cookies. We use cookies to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic.
You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website. Read our cookie policy. I understand